Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Chickpea Flour Crêpes

I wish I could say that this recipe was my own invention but actually it's a variation off of a vegan site. I saw the recipe and being in a big hurry, just jotted it down for later (as in several weeks) so forgot its source. Some things were changed a bit, buy yikes, I can't even remember what now. How unthoughtful of me :( My version needs a wee bit of tweaking as they turned out a little tougher than I like, but that said, the flavor was good, and my younger bro who's wild about crêpes and finding a good gluten-free recipe had no complaints whatsoever.

Chickpea Flour Crêpes

1 cup chickpea flour
4 eggs
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 large handful almonds
1+ cup water
3 tablespoons olive or coconut oil

Blend all ingredients to a batter in a BlendTec. For best results allow to set for 30 minutes before frying. As for which oil to use, olive oil is best suited for savory dishes while coconut oil suits sweeter dishes or fruit complements best.

SWEET AND SAVORY BREAKFAST (my bro's)

While I made the crêpes, my bro had the strangest craving for blueberries but also something savory, so he opened a jar of our home-canned blueberries and in another frypan sautéd some onions with herbs. I scooped out a few before he added in the black pepper and have to admit that they were tasty and probably did complement the blueberry topping, which I as yet do not dare to indulge in because of the glycemic factor. I've eaten on rare occasion a few fresh blueberries, but the canned (processed) ones would give me concentrated sugar which my system just can't deal with.
Savory Onion Stir-fry

1 extra large onion
1 tablespoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
2-3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons chickpea flour
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
dash of black pepper


I spread my crepes with yesterday's roasted garlic spread, some of my bro's savory onion stir-fry, boiled spinach, chopped up radishes and nibbled on eggs on the side. A very light but satisfying mini-meal. Sometimes you just want to go light!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this recipe. My kids and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete