Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Eggplant Parmigiana

My mom absolutely loves eggplant parmigiana, so I thought I'd fix her some, but gluten-free style. [This blog entry is from 2012 summer.] So I dumped a bunch of cornmeal into a bowl, some ground quinoa flour, and Italian seasonings. In another bowl I beat three eggs and then proceded to dip the zucchini slices into the egg batter and then into the coarse "breading" mix. Fried in olive oil over a low heat (which took a long time ... didn't want the oil to get too hot and become trans fatty), Mom said hers [the first picture] tasted really good. Mine were just dipped in egg batter and then fried [the last picture]; they were OK but too disgustingly greasy. I'm not used to fried foods of any kind, so if I were to make them again, I would bake them; however, I've got some ideas about making raw eggplant parmigiana, which would keep the enzymes in tact. Hmmm, thinking about this ....
 
I think in the future a good "breading" for baked parmigiana would be crushed hemp seeds, coarse millet flour as a substitute for the cornmeal, and seasonings. And I think baked, they would be delicious. For raw parmigiana, eggplant slices could be dipped in  sprouted lentil "batter", seasoned, and put in the dehydrator for a few hours. And I think they would be fantastic ... ok, expect a blog entry on this in the near future!

cornmeal makes an awesome "breading" for vegies ... but not for people with candida (aw, well)
some baked vegie meatballs made the day before with an Italian sauce to 'moisten' them
the put-together version - simple eggplant parmigiana for me, with meatballs and asparagus

2 comments:

  1. I love eating aubergine (eggplant). I fry it with egg, flour and some seasoning. Good luck as you venture in cooking different dishes for eggplant. Having it on your backyard is like having a stock medicine, for your info it is now used as an alternative treatment for cancer like skin, bladder and other types of CA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Elinor. I love nutrition notes on food items! And now I have to look up the meaning of "CA" cuz I'm unfamiliar with that term, but which I need to know as I'm now taking a nutrition class.

    ReplyDelete