Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Gluten-free Sugar-free Zucchini Bread

The sky was overcast and a bit chilly as I walked home, and so my mind was thinking of something that would warm me up and of course would have cinnamon in it, which makes me think of snug winter days in a warm kitchen or in front of a fire with a book. Ah, but yes, why not use the last zucchini and make some bread?!


Gluten-free Sugar-free Zucchini Bread

4 cups grated zucchini
1 1/4 cups almond flour
3/4 cup flaxmeal
1 cup garbanzo bean flour
4 small eggs
3 tablespoons cinnamon
3/4 teaspoons cloves
1/2 teaspoon coriander
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1 teaspoon alcohol-free vanilla
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil
a little water as needed
1/2 cup washed walnuts

Grate the zucchini and mix all ingredients together. This is not particularly sweet, but if replacing the 1 cup garbanzo bean flour with coconut flour (inflammatory for me) or with more almond flour (I try to limit my nut intake to protect my kidneys), then this would definitely be sweeter. I think even a grated apple (which I can't do at the moment) would make it wonderful and very complimentary to the warm spices!

Mix all ingredients and bake at 350F for 40+ minutes, rotating the pans so that the tops or bottoms don't burn. This made 4 small loaves.



Serve warm or cold and spread with coconut oil (as pictured) or almond butter.


For another gluten-free, sugar-free zucchini bread, try one with quinoa and flaxmeal as the flour-base and then flavored with walnuts, red currants and complementary spices. Here's the recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment