Thursday, May 3, 2012

Flatbread, Dip and Guacamole

A savory, simple supper indeed. Three pieces of heavy-on-the-turmeric-and-onion flatbread, a guacamole sauce with small cut cherry tomatoes, steamed broccoli (oops, left it in the steamer too long while I was finishing up the guacamole), and pumpkin seed dip for the broccoli. I made the guacamole super tangy and the pumpkin seed dip savory. A delightful simple supper and with leftovers for tomorrow's lunch! Wah-lah. I must add, however, that not all the flavors blended well. The tangy guacamole was phenomenal with the herbed flatbread, but the flatbread and the savory dip competed. The dip though was very good with the plain steamed broccoli, and so I ate the meal with the food appropriately paired. Lunch tomorrow will be a big ditto.
Pumpkin Seed Dip

3/4 cup pumpkin seed (soaked 4 hours, soak water tossed)
1 stalk celery with leaves
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion
1 large clove garlic
dash of cumin (go easy)
2-3 dashes of turmeric
sea salt
Blend all ingredients in a high speed blender until creamy. A note on the flavor: While I liked this dip with the broccoli, I have to admit even though I put in a single dash of cumin, I was surprised that it could be clearly distinguished. I was hoping for something more subtle that would accent the pumpkin seed and onion flavors. I think was the savory flavor that competed with the similarly flavored flatbread.

Guacamole

1 ripe avocado, mashed
1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 large garlic clove, minced
sea salt
Both avocado and lemon juice have glucose, and so shouldn't be overindulged in. In my early stages of detoxing and being ultimately strict, I couldn't eat lemon, but whenever I attempted it, my gut and legs would tremor, among other weird things. I am SO thankful I am beyond that stage, but must remember to not overdo 'cuz a relapse would not be cool. And now here's tomorrow's lunch ... along with a slab of purple cabbage not pictured.




A phenomenal celery dip!  Pumpkin seed dip!

No comments:

Post a Comment