Sunday, December 18, 2011

Apricot Almond Muffins "Gluten-free"

Friends were talking about Dunkin' Donuts, sweets and eating healthy, and how healthy choices are few when eating out, and I was certainly agreeing that people certainly can't have healthy choices at such high-calorie, low food value dessert joints like Dunkin' Donuts. [I guess I should qualify this statement as everyone seems to have a different opinion about what is "healthy". "Healthy" is now a VERY relative term!] The talk at some point turned to getting some donuts or muffins for a 'treat' breakfast, but of course since I was going to be in the kitchen making breakfast for me anyway, why not also make some breakfast muffins for all of us?!

So the next morning I whipped together some oatmeal muffins for my friends and plunged half of a thawing apricot in the middle of each and baked them (pictured in the background). For me I had to get a bit creative, and so dumped some ingredients in a bowl and whipped them up. Because apricots are lower glycemic than other fruits and also high in fiber, I figured I could eat a total of a half of an apricot divided among my mini-muffins and not "feed" the candida bacteria/fungus in my body too much. The muffins turned out ultra cute and the apricots really gave them a delightful flavor. Wow, I wish I could remember the exact recipe but it's something like the following (and yes, since I was traveling, I broke down again and mixed eggs in - they were the leavening):


Apricot Almond Muffins

1 cup almond flour
1 cup lentil or garbanzo flour*
2 eggs
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon cloves
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
water as needed

* I think garbanzo flour is lower on the glycemic count and would be the better alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment