Sunday, July 22, 2018

Raw Pizza

In the early days of full-blown systemic candida, I couldn't eat much of anything. It seemed everything made me react, so I went to a 70-80% raw food diet. Lots of veggie juices, no fruit, very very limited amount of grains and even limited amount of beans because everything sat heavily and "nervously" in my stomach. My diet was so so limited, but through avoidance of reaction-triggering foods and eating only what could support my fragile system, I gradually achieved less nervousness, and the atrocious pain and other horrible symptoms slowly subsided. It took months and months. I still have issues, but have added so much back into my diet that I can travel easily again without having to forage constantly for the "right" foods so that I don't have nasty food reactions. 'Twas a very very bad time.

I made these raw pizzas back when I was so sick. Can't remember the recipe but they were 100% raw and quite tasty ... though a bit labor intensive. The pizza doughs were made from 5-day-young lentil sprouts put in a blender and blended with garlic, a touch of lemon zest, whatever fresh herbs I had on hand (likely parsley) and salt. I don't think I was even using black pepper back then. I put them in the food dehydrator for about 5-6 hours, turning them once, and taking them out when they had enough consistency to easily stick together but not be too dry. Crispy and hard food requires the body to work harder to prepare the food for digestion as it has to be rehydrated through cell activity before digestion can even be considered. My digestion then was shot to bits so raw but dried food wouldn't have been beneficial.



The "pizza" crusts were topped with a raw sunflower seed and garlic spread. Tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment