Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ginger Pumpkin Seed Sauce

A beautiful head of cauliflower (rich in potassium) and some flowery heads of broccoli (rich also in potassium and in vitamin A) were sitting unhappily in my fridge begging to be eaten. And oh, yes, they were top on my menu for tonight! First I steamed them and when they were soft, sliced them repeatedly with a knife till they were in small pieces.


Usually I have this recipe after doing a liver flush, but when I do that, I use a lemon-olive oil dressing base. Tonight I was thinking of something more substantial, actually, something creamy. And I thought pumpkin seeds (high in potassium, magnesium and whopping amount of manganese) would do the trick. So before prepping the vegies and other meal items, I put some pumpkin seeds to soak.
Ginger Pumpkin Seed Sauce

3/4 cup pumpkin seeds (soaked 1 hr then soak water dumped)
1 stalk celery
1 big chunk fresh ginger
1 wedge onion
2 cloves garlic
1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1/3 teaspoon sea salt
1+ cup water

Everything went in the BlendTec, and the result was a pale lime green sauce that easily poured but still had substance. I poured a little on some steamed broccoli and nice ... zesty and full bodied. Even though tonight I didn't eat any cereal carbs, I really feel like a did. North African lentils, lightly steamed spinach and then my steamed cauliflower and broccoli warm "salad" with this zesty dressing on top - much like "mac & cheese" without the mac. A really satisfying meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment